Friday, December 16, 2016

Saying No (Even When It Hurts)

Richie Norton, you speak the truth.
I'll preface this all by saying that I am a people pleaser to the extreme.  I like everyone to be happy with me and I hate disappointing people.  You can ask my elementary school teachers, it's just my personality.

However, with the changes that have truly shook my world, I've been forced to learn to say no.  To the opportunities that are not right for me at this moment as well as the path I was on. 



I've also said no to partnerships for my blog and said no to a number of travel possibilities.  I knew that, being in the position I am in, I needed to focus in on certain priorities.  Trust me, this didn't come easily.  As much as I would like to pretend this was all self-realization, there were a lot of talks with my parents over Thanksgiving and calls to them once I was back in DC. 

It's never easy to say no.  But the most important piece of advice I've picked up is that it is all in how you say no.  Be upfront about why you are saying no but also ensure that you are calm and polite. Hold your ground while also remaining open to having a conversation.

And, for goodness sake, call the person or company instead of emailing. I cannot tell you the amount of times I've been told that someone was impressed that I called and spoke with them.  People remember the little things and having a good association will ensure that they want to help you or work with you in the future.  In this ever-shrinking world, that makes all the difference.

With all this said, I've reached the unknown.  And, let me tell you, it's scary. There's no nice or pretty way to phrase it!  I can't say I ever anticipated being in the spot that I am but I know that I am where I'm supposed to be.  2017 will undoubtedly be a wild ride but I can honestly say I look forward to the challenge!


No comments:

Post a Comment